Team Lead, Software & Machine Learning
Toronto, Ontario M5T1Z7 | Permanent
Team Lead, Software & Machine Learning
gdR is recruiting a Team Lead, Software & Machine Learning for an R&D group working to advance AI applications. Chance to work at the cutting-edge of the intersection of machine learning & software to solve complex problems impacting millions of users. Startup-like applied research team of 10-15 devs, data engineers, researchers & ML engineers that works very closely with the academic team (collaborates with leading global AI researchers and institutes). Focus on building proofs of concepts and taking them to a point where they can be productized & deployed to production by other tech teams.
About the Company:
- Startup-like applied research team of 10-15 developers, data engineers, researchers and ML engineers that is backed by large umbrella organization. This team is set to expand to 30 people in the coming year. This team works very closely with the academic team which is focused on progressing research, publishing their work and creating unique IP that will transform how data is used.
- Truly cutting-edge, working on a balance that has immediate impact to the business as they can take solutions to market quickly, alongside projects that are 5-10 years ahead. Focus on building proofs of concepts and taking them to a point where they can be productized & deployed to production by other technology teams.
- Collaborates with leading global AI researchers and institutes. Access to computational resources plus reams of interesting datasets they can run algorithms against.
- Downtown Toronto location.
In this role, you’ll architect and develop the software modules of the overall solutions the team is building. You’ll also have the chance to lead machine learning engineers to design and integrate machine learning capabilities, but aren’t required to be a ML engineer. It’s a great opportunity to work at the forefront of the intersection of machine learning and software to solve complex problems impacting millions of customers.
You’re the ideal Team Lead, Software & Machine Learning if you have:
- 5+ years software dev experience including REST APIs and Python (fullstack and data applications such as TensorFlow, NLP, etc.) development in a product development environment (e.g startup, scale-up or large tech company).
- Expertise with Hadoop, Spark other distributed computing frameworks is a bonus.
- Passion for ML with opinions on current trends/opportunities. Hands-on experience in the field is a bonus. It’s not required to be an ML engineer.
- Engineering team management/mentoring experience is required, ideally leading a team of 3+ people. While the team you’ll be leading is larger, there is flexibility to consider up-and-coming leaders who haven’t led large teams.
Note: this is NOT a data science or data engineering position.
As the Team Lead, Software & Machine Learning here’s how you’ll make an impact:
- Provide technical leadership for your team of developers, data engineers, ML engineers and researchers.
- Architect (approximately 50% hands-on development) leveraging Python and other languages as desired.
- Brainstorm and create new applications of machine learning that will help solve the organization's current and future challenges.
Apply today for the Team Lead, Software & Machine Learning role or contact Brandon Shim-Ping, Director, Talent, at brandon AT grossmandorland DOT com to learn more.
About gdR | Grossman Dorland Recruiting
Founded in 2007, Grossman Dorland Recruiting (gdR)s objective is to grow the leadership capacity and capabilities of people and companies in the Canadian tech ecosystem through Executive Recruiting, Individual Contributor Level Recruiting and Leadership Coaching & Development.
We’re actively involved in the community by creating opportunities for people to connect and learn from one another e.g. Canadian Tech at Scale (in partnership with Shopify & Pivotal), which brings 120+ engineering leaders.
gdR values inclusion in Canada’s tech ecosystem and partners with employers that provide equal opportunities for individuals from diverse groups. If you’re interested in moving to Canada, although we can’t sponsor you here are some resources to help you with your journey.